From time to time, Anoush Catering
likes to offer you a DoItYourself recipe to make at home for your next gathering or event. With a holiday weekend approaching, we thought this would be a great time to dish out a classic Mediterranean recipe that is as much fun to say as it is to make.
Eggplant and Sesame Puree
1 medium-sized eggplant, about 375 g (12 oz)
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup tahini
2 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons salt or to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup finely chopped parsley
1. Grill eggplant over charcoal fire for 30-40 minutes, turning frequently. Alternatively place on the centre shelf in a hot oven and cook until soft, again turning often.
2. Peel off skin while hot and remove stem and end of eggplant if firm.
3. Chop flesh and pound in a mortar with pestle to a puree or place in a blender or food processor and puree.
4. Blend in most of the lemon juice and gradually add the tahini.
5. Crush garlic to a paste with a 1 teaspoon salt and add to eggplant. Beat well and adjust flavour with more lemon juice and salt.
6. Beat in olive oil and parsley. If using an appliance put about 4 parsley sprigs into container and process until parsley is chopped but still visible.
7. Place in a shallow dish, garnish with parsley and serve with Khoubiz as an appetizer.
If making ahead, store in a sealed container in refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Please note, that Anoush Catering’s recipes are proprietary and may vary in preparation methods and ingredients.