As we approach this Independence Day weekend, we image that many of you will be attending outdoor BBQs and parties. Therefore, we felt it would be appropriate to offer you a fresh and light recipe to impress your friends and family this holiday weekend.
Burghul and Parsley Salad
¾ cup fine burghul
2 cups cold water
2 cups chopped parsley
½ cup finely chopped spring onions
¼ cup finely chopped mint
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 firm ripe tomatoes
crisp lettuce leaves
¼ cup lemon juice mixed with ½ teaspoon salt
1. Place burghul in a bowl and cover with the cold water. Leave to soak for 30 minutes. Drain through a fine sieve, pressing with back of a spoon to extract moisture. Spread onto a cloth and leave to dry further.
2. Meanwhile, prepare parsley. Wash well, shake off excess moisture and remove thick stalks. Wrap in tea towel and place in refrigerator to crisp and dry.
3. Put burghul into the mixing bowl and add spring onions. Squeeze mixture with hand so that burghul absorbs onion flavour.
4. Chop parsley fairly coarsely, measure and add to burghul with mint.
5. Beat olive oil with lemon juice and stir in salt and pepper. Add to salad and toss well.
6. Peel and seed tomatoes and cut into dice. Gently stir into salad. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
7. Serve in salad bowl lined with crisp lettuce leaves. Lemon juice and salt mixture is served in a jug so that it may be added according to individual taste.
Please note, that Anoush Catering’s recipes are proprietary and may vary in preparation methods and ingredients.